Thursday 24 April 2014

The stresses of buying a house

So I think I mentioned in another post that me and the Other Half recently had an offer accepted on a house - our first house.







Unfortunately, after waiting a couple of months for the mortgage to be accepted (everything takes sooo long), signing a million forms, and getting a date for the survey. We've had to walk away.

It's all over the internet that moving house can be one of the most stressful things you can do, along with getting married and getting divorced. But I though the actual stress came from arranging all the viewings and actually moving - you know, packing everything up and then unpacking all that stuff. How naïve was I?

I'd been very calm for the last few months and trying not to get too excited about the house as we hadn't actually 'bought' it yet. But it's hard not to look at bathroom tiles and kitchen units and picturing yourself living in the house you want.

But the survey didn't go well. We'd seen some damp and a couple of small cracks and family members who are in the building trade had assured us they needed sorting but were not the end of the world. But we missed one vital crack, the important crack.







The surveyor has sent us the report full of expensive recommendations and so that's that - back to square one.

Unfortunately, the prices in our ideal area have flown up over the last few weeks and properties don't even get a chance to go online before they're snapped up. So, we're considering different parts of the city (did I mention I live in Cardiff? So yeah, I live in Cardiff). 

I'm devastated that our 'home' will no longer be ours but also a little excited at the prospect of looking at bigger houses for less money...even if it does mean looking in different areas. You never know, this might be the best thing that's happened to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment