Thursday 3 July 2014

Too much tech

25 hours. Imagine what you could do with 25 glorious free hours – you could decorate a couple of rooms in your house, you could complete half a dozen craft projects, you could fly to Sydney, Australia and even have time to grab a couple of schooners of beer after you get there – all within 25 hours.
25 hours is how much time we adults waste on tech each week – from smart phones, to laptops, to televisions. What a waste.



I’m always (always!) moaning about how I have no time to do any crafts, or bake my favourite treats, spend time with the girls or just sit and read. But, after work I probably spend a ridiculous 4 hours slumped in front of the television, not even watching anything particularly interesting.
I’m always moaning to the Other Half how he’s happy to sit around watching YouTube clips of laughing babies and hungry dogs as well as watching football and maybe having a go at his guitar - all at the same time. It drives me nuts.


However, I'm not much better. I'm very good at moaning about tech, but not very good at not using it. Whilst I'm watching my daily 4 hours of television, I'm very aware that I'm wasting time - I could be doing something a lot more constructive with my time. However, I sit. And watch. Bored.
And now, I really do want things to change - I've already wasted enough time. Now, I'm not saying that I'm never going to watch television or use a laptop again (I'm still going to be writing this blog as I do believe this blog is a "little" more constructive than watching the Harlem Shake in a million different forms), but I really would like to limit my time using them.
I'm going to start off slow. I'm going to try and come home from work every night and do at least one constructive thing with my time - nothing major. It can be reading a couple of chapters from my current book, having a bath, going for a walk, baking something new or doing some crafts - anything that doesn't require any tech.



I'm also going to try and convince the Other Half what a wonderful idea this is. We both work such long hours and spend the few hours we have together every day watching mindless programmes on the sofa - I want to reconnect, even if it means dragging him to the park for a half hour stroll in the evening sun - anything that doesn't require television sets, laptops and sneezing pandas.
I heard someone describe our generation as the "iGeneration" - please don't let this be the case - surely it won't be very interesting for our children and grandchildren to look back at our facebook posts and youtube clips? Even if the laughing baby always puts a smile on my face.


Pictures:
StudentWire
TVisual

No comments:

Post a Comment