Thursday 10 July 2014

Look what I did!

Last year I was given a bike for free (jammy sod!) from a colleague whose wife no longer liked riding it, and since then I've been hooked. I ride my bike to work most days and go cycling after work and on the weekends - I enjoy it and it's great exercise.



I've had a go at running at a 10K event and even though I was thrilled with my time of 64 minutes (and the fact that I even managed to finish it at all), I quickly got bored of running, and didn't have the dedication to train for a Half Marathon.


So, as I enjoy cycling so much, I thought a cycling event (note - not a race) would be good. And as I trawled the internet a few weeks ago, I came across Cardiff's Pedal for Parkinson's Event.

You could choose 60 miles or 20 miles. As tempted as I was to really push myself, I opted for the 20 mile route, and boy am I glad that's what I did.

It was the hardest thing I've done in my life - 20 miles of steep hills and climbs and half of that in torrential rain - what an experience.

I struggled, I cursed and really pushed my body to the limits - but I did it. And I didn't get off my bike for any of the hills. I was so damn proud of myself. 







I know, I know - 20 miles isn't really that far. But the Welsh hills around Cardiff are steep. Real steep.

And the best part? I managed to raise almost £100 for a good cause.

Anyone else taking part in any charity events this year?




No comments:

Post a Comment