Wednesday 16 July 2014

Dumbwalking

Yesterday I came across a new term - dumbwalking. And now, I think it might actually be my favourite word.

It refers to people who walk around with their eyes down reading emails or texting their mates, completely and utterly oblivious to anyone else around them. Why should I move, right?






Be prepared for a proper old rant...

Now, I'm 27. I have a smart phone (not an expensive iPhone). I have an iPod. I also have a laptop, a television and various other gadgets in my home. However, I never walk around so rudely as to expect everyone else around me to move as I have a text that just can not wait, as I'm just sooo busy.

Why have we morphed into this population of people that can't bare to live life without tech? I've seen friends have a meltdown when they realise they've forgotten their camera on a night out. And colleagues that have actually driven home to get their forgotten phone, just in case.






Just in case of what? Just in case eBay send an email reminding you of their Bank Holiday Sale that You. Cannot. Miss. Just in case a 'friend' you knew at school ten years ago has commented on one of your photos on Facebook. Just in case, nothing. The world will keep spinning if you leave your phone at home.







So, this was meant to be a post about dumbwalking, but it's actually turned into a full blown rant about tech. Again.

Sorry.

I really do hope other people agree with me and that I'm not prematurely turning into a grumpy old git...hmm, maybe I am. What do you lovely people think?






Photos from:

PhoneArena
RunItLikeAMom
SmartSign
Kulfoto



No comments:

Post a Comment