Tuesday 16 September 2014

Party preparations

I’m loving my resolution of making more time for crafts – everyday at work I’m counting down the hours until I can go home and carry on with one of my projects. For some reason, having a specific timeframe makes me do more during the week. I used to think I should relax in front of the TV after work and leave crafting until the weekend – but why?


For the housewarming on Saturday I’ve decided to make a few different things:
  • Colourful bunting;
  • Paper pom poms in various sizes;
  • Balloon string ornaments (maybe – we’ll see if I have enough time);
  • Decorated jam jars for drinks;
  • Small banners to show people what’s in each drink or plate of food.
None of these are very ambitious, but I’m having a great time.
Last night I made paper bunting – really easy but really satisfying. I had a big pack of pastel coloured paper (I chose pink, green, yellow and blue), an ancient hole puncher that I never use, scissors, colourful thread, good old pritt stick and some random flower cut outs – I have no idea where they came from.
I basically folded the paper into a square and then folded the square in half so I had two triangles. Then, I made two holes in each triangle, making sure that they weren’t too close to the edge of the paper. I cut out some letters from contrasting coloured paper (I chose to spell CROESO – the Welsh word for WELCOME) before gluing them onto the triangles, along with the random flowers. I placed the thread through the holes and voila – I had colourful paper bunting.











I’m sure there are some stunning pieces out there that are wonderfully decorated, but I kind of like my simple but cute version. Also, this is way quicker – and cheaper!
However, this has given me some confidence to know that I can make pretty things, and I hope to make some more.
I’ve also already made a couple of the paper pom poms which I’d like to show you (two are already on Instagram) and I’ll make a few more things this week and keep you updated with my party planning.
I hope I enjoy the party as much as the planning…

No comments:

Post a Comment