Friday 26 September 2014

Chapel 1877

Happy Friday everyone!

As payday isn't until Tuesday, the Other Half and I are having a cheap-ish weekend. And so, as we both love going out for food, we decided that this weekend would be a good time to use our Groupon voucher at Chapel 1887 in Cardiff.

Unfortunately, this voucher was extremely popular and the only table we could get was 5:30 last night - to be honest though, after the night we had, I didn't care one bit!

This is a beautiful Grade II listed building that has been renovated to the highest standard. It has a gorgeous (although slightly expensive) bar downstairs and a luxurious eating are upstairs - where all the tables can have a look at the chefs at work. A great venue for some great food.






The voucher entitled us to a signature cocktail and a 3 course meal each - for £39. Bearing in mind that a cocktail can be £7 and a main is at least £16 - this was a bargain.

We've had lunch here a few time (as it's cheaper!) and the food and service has always been great - and we weren't disappointed last night.

We walked in and were welcomed by a very cheerful young woman who recommended a few cocktails for us - the Other Half had a sour Mocktail while I opted for the Mayflower - gin, elderflower syrup and apple juice - de-lic-ious. Probably the best cocktail I've had in a while.

And then the real fun began. The food!

I apologise now that I have no photos, I devoured the food before I even thought about my camera. I managed one quick Instagram shot - which you can see on the side of this blog.

I started off with seared tuna, Asian slaw and wasabi. The tuna was fine, nothing special. But the slaw and wasabi were really great and full of flavour, and the use of chopsticks in a fine dining venue made a nice change. The Other Half had delicious pumpkin torteloni - I'd definitely try that one next time.

Me 0 - 1 Other Half.





As for the main, I definitely won. I opted for the lamb, and it was one of the nicest plates of food I've had in a while. The lamb was pink and perfectly cooked, with rich berry jus (and plenty of it) and then the pièce de résistance - rich potatoes layered with chorizo - wow. I've never had anything like it and it was lush.

The Other half had the duck. He had plenty of meat and it was, again, perfectly cooked, with creamy mash and a cabbage dumpling - a really lovely side dish.

Me 1 - 1 Other Half

To finish off, we both had the cheesecake - always a favourite. A New York vanilla cheesecake served with pistachio crumb, bananas and salted caramel sauce. Yum.

Me 1.5 - 1.5 Other Half

All in all, we had a lovely evening. The food was really good, the service was even better. We had a few different waiters and each one was as cheerful and as polite as the other. They were attentive without being over the top. I always think that good service goes a long way. Have you ever returned to a restaurant where you received awful service?

So a gold star from me - and I'll be back. But maybe for the more affordable lunch menu!. ;-)

Have a delicious weekend everyone!

Photos from Chapel 1887's official website.


Chapel 1887 were not aware that I'd be writing a review of sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment