Thursday 12 June 2014

London Baby!


So, on a typically dreary British day, the Other Half and I headed off to London for the day. I’d bought a couple of cheap tickets for the Megabus, packed my book and a sandwich (you know how expensive breakfast could be on the motorway!), and we were off – it felt like a school trip!
 
As apprehensive as I was about the Megabus experience, I actually had nothing to worry about. We left Cardiff at 07:45 and arrived at around 11:30. Left London at 20:15 (15 minutes late) and were home well before midnight.
 

 
The buses are comfortable and the tickets are cheap – I’m really not looking for anything more from a bus ride.
The original plan was to concentrate on the Tate Gallery and the Natural History Museum, with a bit of walking and eating inbetween. However, as the Megabus drives along the Museum on the way to Victoria Station, this plan quickly changed. The queues were huge and full of screaming kids. Nope, not the day for us to try and see the dinosaurs.
So, we headed off to the Tate all the same, assuming that the screaming kids wouldn’t be interested – and we were right. Busy enough, but at least you could get close enough to see the paintings.
 
 
 
 
The Other Half was very patient and I was allowed a couple of hours to meander around the displays and managed to see my all time favourite, Monet.
 
 
As well as a couple of Dali pieces and Picasso paintings. I loved it.
 

 
 

 
 
 

Off we went then for a little tour of the City. The Other Half loves his architecture, so this was the compromise for my hours at the gallery. We managed to see the Gherkin, the Cheese Grater and the Walky-talky –we Brits do love our nicknames. Anyone know their real names?
 
 
We stopped then for lunch and I had the biggest and tastiest burrito ever – thank you greedy (in more ways than one) bankers for needing so much food! :)

 
 

 
 
 
Fed and watered, we headed off to see St. Paul’s Cathedral and then headed for Covent Gardens. We finished off our touristy day with a pint of the local Camden Pale Ale. I loved the huge tanker and looked like such a lady supping my pint.
All in all, a very enjoyable day. I’ve never really seen London, except for going to see a show or two, and so enjoyed the whole touristy thing, especially as the Other Half was a bit more familiar with the place – my very own tour guide!
So, do you guys ever do the touristy thing? I’d highly recommend giving it a go!
 
 
 
All the photos are my own, except for the Megabus photo from ForeignStudents

No comments:

Post a Comment